Friday, November 13, 2009

Desiree's Baby: Kate Chopin

What an interesting turn this story took at the end. I didn't expect to find out that he or she was a half blood. It also hurt me to read that the father didn't want to take ownership of his first born son. Everyone seemed so devastated about the fact that the baby didn't look like the mother or father and drove the mother mad. She just ended up walking off and never looking back. I still wonder how the father really felt after he read that he was the one who wasn't full white, and that he was half black. If I was in his shoes I don't think I would have let her leave. I would have tried to understand why this had happened and not put all the blame on her. It just sadden me to think she just took the baby and walked into the swamp and never returned. She ended both her life and her baby's that way she wouldn't have to be ashamed.

No comments: